Going green with trade show displays is a growing trend among businesses. Companies want to help the environment and make a difference. They are seeking different products for trade show booths, and are using criteria around these points:
– Is it made of recycled products?
– Can it be recycled at the end of its life?
– Is its source material sustainable?
Going green can help businesses gain tangible and intangible benefits while helping the environment. It’s your company’s chance to re-think the items you take from show to show to reduce your carbon footprint, decrease your marketing costs, and enhance your company profile. An eco-friendly trade show strategy can bring you the five following benefits that last beyond a single show.
1) Meet your Corporate Social Responsibility Goals
Many businesses are pursuing an environmental stance in their social responsibility programs. After all, a greener earth is good for everyone, right? Owners realize that eco-friendly business practices can help improve their local environments and contribute to global greening efforts. If your company is thinking green, make sure to include environmentally-friendly materials in your trade show displays throughout the year.
2) Score Points with Customers and Clients
Consumers like to buy from businesses that make quality products and also provide a positive impact on the environment, according to a recent study. The more your products are shown to be good solutions AND show commitment to helping the planet, the more impact you’ll have with these customers and clients. People won’t buy an inferior product or pay too much for a similar service they can get much cheaper elsewhere, but close competitors need every edge they can get. Make sure you tout your green display and business practices at your booth. Try a few of these strategies:
- Post a list of your green trade show and office efforts.
- Highlight your green materials, lighting, decor and signage.
- Place a recycling bin prominently in your booth.
- Post a statistic such as, “The trade show industry is the second-largest waste-producing industry after construction,” or “Each trade show attendee generates an average of 20 lbs. of waste per show.”
- Offer locally sourced organic snacks.
Don’t go overboard with detailed environmental facts. Just let visitors at your booth know you are environmentally conscious.
3) Reduce your Costs
Having a focus on an eco-friendly trade show display can save money, too. This could be accomplished by using lighter materials (saves in shipping) and electronic devices for orders, presentations and more, rather than all the printed paper brochures to bring to conferences. Other ways could include:
- Converting to energy efficient light bulbs, which last longer and save electrical expenses
- Using smart devices, tablets and kiosks for sales presentations – this reduces the cost of printing and shipping massive amounts of printed company brochures, product info sheets and more
- Rethinking your show giveaways. Instead of stress balls, key chains and flying discs with your company logo on them, why not look to eco-friendly giveaways? You can find items online from eco product vendors like organic cotton tote bags, recycled plastic items and other environmentally-minded items.
4) Increase your Media Coverage
Blogs, industry websites and business publications are always looking for interesting stories. If you can provide a news angle to your eco-friendly trade show display, you’ll increase the likelihood of generating more media coverage. In addition to providing information on why you’re using bamboo flooring, or low-intensity lighting, provide some general environmental statistics to help bloggers and reporters. Offer background info about de-forestation to underscore how valuable it can be for businesses using renewable materials.
5) Attract Eco-Friendly employers
If you’re competing with other businesses for top-quality workers, the more personal satisfaction you can give employees, the more likely you will win the recruiting wars. Don’t just share your green efforts with clients and the media. Let your employees know how you’re contributing to making their world better. Include this information during interviews to impress potential hires. Make sure your website touts your green initiatives and create a PR campaign so your employees know they work for a green company.
Let the experts at Northwest Creative Imaging help you with ideas for reducing the carbon footprint of your trade show display. Take advantage of a free consultation with one of NWCI’s experts today.